Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

12v power inverter and little 110v welder?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v power inverter and little 110v welder?

hey guys!

I was asked by one of my old highschool teachers to do some repair and installation on an old shipping container that hold's the schools track & field equipment. The conatainer is located at least a good couple hundred feet away from any available power and i don't want to have to bill them for renting a generator. In short, i was wondering if it was possible to power a small 110v welder like a millermatic 135 or lincoln sp135t and a grinder from a small 2500 watt ipower inverter, or do they even make the inverters that big? i'm just brainstorming ideas.. i may just end up renting, couldn't cost that much right?
    Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or expiriences?
    Thanks for the help!

enough power?

I have a MM135 and I'd be REALLY surprised if it could weld up on that container!!
    Good luck and God bless

Comment

Over here, Home Depot rents a gas powered stick welder for around $50/day

Comment

a cuple good extention cords 12 gage or 10 if you have them, but 12 would work. any 12V inverter large enough to power the MIG will be waaaaaaay expensive.
        if the steel is thin enough where you want to weld, extention cord and some flux core should do it.
        i have run my MM135 on 150ft of 12 gage no problems

Comment

What about the batteries? you would need to pull over 200 amps! And that is just for a 110 unit. How about moving the container?

Comment

Your kidding right?

Anything done with access to the general public, especially a school, will have liability all over it.

Get the right equipment, do it right, or don't do it at all...

Thats my 2 cents.

Comment

why not use oxy/Ace. That should do all necessary easily without the need for electricity.

Comment

It is sad that todays schools do not have welders in the shop class

A small generator should run the 120v welder fine, whether the welder is large enough is your decission to make.
                Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                  I have a MM135 and I'd be REALLY surprised if it could weld up on that container!!
                  Good luck and God bless
                  I did full penetration welds on .250 mild steel angle using a MM 135. It's all in the joint prep and the person doing the welding!

A MM135 draws 20 amps. A 5KW generator wouod be needed to run it at top end. There is no practical 12VDC inverter that will work.

Either run cords as James suggests, or rent the genny.

Hank

Comment

technically i'm still a student at the school and pretty much the one all the departments go to for repair and small fab work.. i understand the liabilities involved in welding for a school or anyone else for that matter. As for the inverter idea, it was just that, an idea. I apologize i should have given more information on the job aswell. The job involves cutting off a damaged lock and installing a shroud to cover the locks from vandalism. the plan was to use 3/16 material and run uphands with the small machine because that is the most practical machine we have at our school. we have oxy fuel welding stations (x2) but they are complete junk and not worth messing with, same goes with our cutting torches. i bring alot of my own tools and equipment and rod for that matter to school because we just dont have the funding.
                    Agian i was just seeing what was possible because i don't want to have to bill our already underfunded school if i could get away with this idea wich i see now is not possible. I agree with doing things right the first time so i'll go rent a generator.

Thanks everyone for your comments and concerns.

Comment

idea

sometimes the LWS will have gas powered welders available to rent. Depending on your relationship with them they MIGHT be willing to "loan" a machine for good will with the school if this is all volunteer work with no money involved. Just don't forget to buy your supplies from them. If they wont loan it then renting for a day shouldn't be to much and maybe they will donate the rod.
                      Last edited by diamondback; 03-06-2008, 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Has anyone actually tried running any of these little machines from an inverter? I have a 2000/4000 in my truck, 20A of 120V.

Comment

I'v never tried to run one from an inverter, but I'd be curious to know what happens if someone has. My suspicion is that there would be issues due to the initial surge on powerup, as well as due to waveshape, but I certainly wouldn't bet the house on it.

I would, personally, use a generator. That I have done and it is the simplest method. For this job, you are real likely to be able to borrow one from public works/highway department, or the local equivelent. They may have trailer units or they may have them on the trucks, but they will most likely have them. Water/sewer department (if it exists) also a good bet. Emergency response or fire pretty much a gaurentee, as well. No cost but fuel, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                            Has anyone actually tried running any of these little machines from an inverter? I have a 2000/4000 in my truck, 20A of 120V.
                            If the inverter is big enough it should do just fine

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                              Good luck and God bless
                              The sides and top of the containers are actually quite thin

I have a Lincoln Sp135 Plus, a Honda EU2000 and a shipping container
                              Last edited by Broccoli1; 03-08-2008, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.