Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boyd Coddington passes away today.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyd Coddington passes away today.

Just read this on the Home Shop Machinist board but wasn't smart enough to remember how to get a link from the story. Just thought the cars guys might want to know. Could someone smarter than I bring that link over for everyone to read. Thanks in advance for that.

I did a cut, copy, and paste of an article on the web about his passing.

LA HABRA, California Boyd Coddington, the star of the TV show American Hot Rod and a central figure in hot-rod culture, died this morning at age 63. He had been hospitalized in early January after a fall at home and had been recovering. The cause of his death was not immediately announced.

"His mental and physical burners have been on full-bore from Day One," enthuses the Discovery Channel Web site for his TV show. Coddington grew up in rural Idaho and opened his first shop in California during the turbulent late 1960s. He is credited for creating a "new aesthetic" in customization and recognized for his genius in machining billet aluminum.

Boyd's special projects are too many to list, but he is especially noted for the 1980s Cadzzilla, a joint project with Larry Erickson for ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons. His name became so popular that Dupont paint even came out with a Boyd Red paint color. Chip Foose and Jesse James went on to their own stardom after working in his shop. Among many honors and awards, Boyd is a seven-time winner of the America's Most Beautiful Roadster prize and a two-time winner of the DaimlerChrysler Design Excellence Award. He is in the halls of fame of SEMA, the National Rod & Custom Museum, the Grand National Roadster Show and the Street Rod Marketing Alliance not to mention the Route 66 Wall of Fame.

In addition to his hugely popular shop and wheel-fabricating business, he and his wife, Jo, ran the Boyd Coddington Foundation.

Comment

Thanks for that dabar. I may get computr smart someday.

Comment

It's a shame, he was such a sweetheart. He really knew how to treat people well.

Comment

That's too bad. Boyd was a wonderful gentleman that did a lot for the hot rod industry. He will be missed greatly.

Comment

WOW!!! Mind Freak! Used to watch that show a lot! Thanks for the read Dave!

Comment

My prayers to his family I liked that show.He was a pioneer to the Hot Rod industry.

Comment

damm I watched that show all the time that is crazy

Comment

sorry to say it but it couldnt have happened to a nicer guy

Comment

Ditto..................

Comment

Of all the stupid things I've done in my life (moto-cross). Boyd dies from complications; from a fall at home. Youngsters beware, we are not immortal.

Comment

maybe it was Karma.

or he was pushed!

Comment

Yea, mabye Karma does exist afterall...

Comment

His house was on the show once

He ived in this cool place way way up in the hills or mountains overlooking LA or nearby. The camera angles made me dizzy, I could never live in a place that high up, amazing view of the city lights at night. Of all the customizers he was the absolute best, totally amazing.

Comment

Sarcasm........

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.