Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nascar Chassis's

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nascar Chassis's

Any nascar chassis builders on here or people that know the process that they use for their chassis?

How many do they build during the yr ?
    What material is used ? and size ?

Just a few questions to get the motorsport forum going?

Rich
    Last edited by Fortyfords; 02-27-2008, 10:26 AM.

Rich,
    Good question.

NASCAR tightly regulates the chassis and materials. The chassis are mild steel tubing. The sq frames are .120 wall and the other tubes vary from .065 up to .090 1 3/4 tubing depending on where the tube is located and how critical the tube is. Most of the main safety tube is 1 3/4 .090
    The cars can be TIG or MIG welded and each chassis must get inspected by NASCAR before it gets a ser# and is allowed to race. Most of the suspension parts are TIG welded. IE: upper and lower control arms, shock mounts, spindles etc.

Check out some of my pics from Daytona.

Andy

Comment

Crome moly?

Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
      Rich,
      Good question.
      The chassis are mild steel tubing. The sq frames are .120 wall and the other tubes vary from .065 up to .090 1 3/4 tubing depending on where the tube is located and how critical the tube is. Most of the main safety tube is 1 3/4 .090
      Check out some of my pics from Daytona.

Andy
      Is the rollcage MS?? Certified racing rollcages are works of art.

Comment

Andy,

Could you touch base on what, if any, NDT testing process that are performed on the chassis.

(Just trying to keep the thread going.)

Regards,

Scott

Comment

Andy ,thanks for the reply and the pics
          Looking forward to your other process type pic's you made reference to.

Rich

Comment

chassis

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
            Is the rollcage MS?? Certified racing rollcages are works of art.

I'am a former nascar cup car fabricator. As andy stated the chassis and cages are mild steel.

Comment

Mild Steel, Wow!!

Originally posted by linkpin View Post
              I'am a former nascar cup car fabricator. As andy stated the chassis and cages are mild steel.
              linkpin:
              YOU are a lucky man. I'm a former desk jockey.

Thanks for your reply. I would have lost a LOT of money if this were a bet.

Comment

Wow Is Wright

I`ve been around dirt track racing all my life and have welded on many chassis ,big block modified are DOM ,sprinters are chrome moly and even racing karts are chrome moly. i`m very surprised

Comment

wow

Originally posted by JIMMI View Post
                  I`ve been around dirt track racing all my life and have welded on many chassis ,big block modified are DOM ,sprinters are chrome moly and even racing karts are chrome moly. i`m very surprised

The rules require the cars to be about 3500lbs. So there would be no real advantage to using 4130

Comment

The rules require the cars to be about 3500lbs. So there would be no real advantage to using 4130
                    Be a shame to waste all the good material in banked oval demo derby anyway

Seriously though, what is the life expectancy of one of those chassis, 1 race, maybe 2?? Maybe thats why racers get away with sins in welding process that would never last in other avenues. I have co-workers that have come from GM and Ford's engineering group, and they all aggree that the performance end of those companys can teach a lot about performance, but little about lifespan.

-Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
                      Be a shame to waste all the good material in banked oval demo derby anyway

Seriously though, what is the life expectancy of one of those chassis, 1 race, maybe 2?? Maybe thats why racers get away with sins in welding process that would never last in other avenues. I have co-workers that have come from GM and Ford's engineering group, and they all aggree that the performance end of those companys can teach a lot about performance, but little about lifespan.

-Aaron
                      A lot more than that. And you can buy retired NASCAR chassis for personal use for pretty reasonable prices and run them as long as you want.

Comment

life expectancy

The main rails and cage can last a season or more. The front and back halfs get repaired/replaced frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by JIMMI View Post
                          DOM is also Mild Steel. The difference from DOM to ERW is DOM stands for draw over madrel were as Electro resistance welding ( think I got that out right). DOM uses the same process to be formed as 4130 chromoly hence the reason for the steep price increase from it to the ERW steel. ERW steel starts off as flat strap and is them formed then pressed together and squeezed together then hit with some power to get it to stick.

Now why use Mild steel instead of moly. One you have a weight rule so why run a lite weight car when you then have to bolt on so much lead. Mild steel can be just as stong as chromoly only draw back is you have to use upwards of 30 percent more wall thickness to get it there. Second I know of is the response of mild steel. It is more forgiving as far as spring back. Now to not get in to some great detail but can you imagine a sprint car that has to do 200 laps the drivers would be wore out.

Comment

The main rails and cage can last a season or more. The front and back halfs get repaired/replaced frequently.

Wow that is longer then I expected for the cage and rails. I had a feeling the front and rear clips were changed often. Friends of mine that race lower levels at the Milwaukee Mile and such go through them quite frequently.
                            Thanks for the correction!!

-Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Champagneracing View Post
                              Second I know of is the response of mild steel. It is more forgiving as far as spring back. Now to not get in to some great detail but can you imagine a sprint car that has to do 200 laps the drivers would be wore out.
                              Wow, the NASCAR chassis is a 'micro suspension'. Putting the driver in a chrome moly chassis would be like dropping him in a paint mixer. As many have said before me, I learn something (cool) every day.
                              Last edited by Craig in Denver; 03-01-2008, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.