How to perform a thorough welder checkup
Already made your New Year’s resolutions? Why not add one more…
Give your welder a “once over” checkup. This is something you should be doing on a regular basis, but usually gets overlooked. While you have a little time before the race season starts up, these are the most common and easiest things to look at to keep your welder happy.
- Inspect and tighten all cables including the ground clamp.
- Inspect gas hoses and connections.
- A good blow out will keep your machine running cool and prevent conductive metal dust from messing with internal connections.
- Check the condition of the gun cable on your MIG welder for cuts in the rubber casing.
- Check and tighten the contact tip and adapter.
- Check the gun liner by making sure the wire pulls through the gun freely when the drive roll tension arm is released.
- Check the drive rolls for wear and alignment with the wire/groove.
- Inspect the torch cables and back cap on your TIG welder for cracks, and check the o-ring.
- Check, add or change your TIG coolant if you’re gun is water-cooled.
- Stock up on all your consumables now instead of when it’s too late and you need them.
Until next time,
Motorsports Marketing Manager